[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets on Monday July 18, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 11 12:44:45 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M
and  every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can help you.

     I was lucky enough to find the latest Linux Pro Magazine at the
Fog City News on Saturday July 9.  The disks of the month are
64-bit Ubuntu and 32-bit Ubuntu Mate.  We have those already
from my earlier downloads.

     The lead article is a discussion of using Log Files productively.
     But the articles on the use of encryption tools hiding an encrypted
volume inside an un-encrypted partition or directory are interesting
as are the discussion of the Whonix tools which create anonymous
browsing thru virtual machines using Tor which by the way has its
own problems. Here is what I found on line,

> Researchers Discover Over 100 Tor Nodes Designed To Spy On Hidden
> Services (schneier.com) 23
>
> Posted by BeauHD on Friday July 08, 2016 @05:30PM from the
> lurking-in-the-shadows dept.

     In addition since the last meeting I have downloaded Neon 5.7 which
is a Kubuntu but with the latest version of KDE's Plasma 5.7  Still
is not ready for my work machine. Linux neon 4.4.0-28-generic #47
-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 24 and KDE 5.7 is still lacking functionality.

     I also downloaded OpenMandrivaLX 3.0  beta2 64 bit and it is on the
verge of being a good desktop.  Uses Linux  4.6.2-desktop-2omv #1,
but the unfinished functions in Plasma 5.6.3  which are working in
  KDE 4.14.18 keep me from praising it.

     PCLinux OS has a later version of Mate 64 bit out and I will have it at
the meeting,  pclinuxos64-mate-2016.07.iso and this is a fine distro for
many users, as much as they will every need or use.

     KDE will have a LTS version of Plasma 5.8 out in October and I hope
they get the thing back up to 4.14.18 standards.  Details are important
to my work habits.

     Well I hope to see a few people at the meeting next Monday.

     Happy Summertime to all.

     Bobbie Sellers