[sf-lug] SF-LUG Linux meeting ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 7 03:15:47 PDT 2016

So, ... I can certainly see how confusion does or may arise.

Begs the questions:
SF-LUG meets when and where?
And how are things described?
What's this thingy at Noisebridge?  Is that where SF-LUG meets, or ???

A fair bit of how things are mentioned on the list may be rather
confusing for folks - especially if they're not already rather familiar
with SF-LUG, or mostly begin their learning of SF-LUG via the SF-LUG
list.

I think this may have been discussed on this list before, but if so I'm
not immediately and easily finding that earlier "thread".

Anyway, I'll leave it as exercise for SF-LUG to figure out how to
unambiguously/better/best handle that and reduce confusion.

It would seem to me, the intent is that
SF-LUG meets at Cafe Enchante, first Sundays and third Mondays,
and that Noisebridge (generally) has a weekly Linux discussion on
Wednesdays, which SF-LUG also "supports".  But when the SF-LUG website -
even main page - has some fair bits of highly out-of-date information
(ServePath - really?  That was 3 hosting entities ago
web site is on circle.circlesoft.com - how many years ago?), and the
Noisebridge thingy gets announced on the list such as:
> Subject: [sf-lug] SF-LUG Linux meeting at Noisebridge 2016-07-06 1800 PDT

> Noisebridge, 2169 Mission Street at 18th Street, SF, CA
> The meeting is in the Turing Room.

Well, ... not too surprising that folks may get confused.
So, e.g. that posting to the list referenced above, doesn't say or
imply that it's primarily a Linux discussion at Noisebridge (which
SF-LUG does or may also support), but makes it quite sound like that's
where the SF-LUG meeting is.  Thus confusion may (and does) ensue.
Just sayin'.  :-)

references/excerpts:
http://www.sf-lug.org/
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2016q3/012013.html