[sf-lug] report on the SF-LUG meeting of July 3, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 3 21:54:06 PDT 2016

SF-LUG meeting of  Sunday July 3, 2016

10:40 approximately arrived at the Cafe Enchante.

Maestro and Daniel G. walked in about 1045

I was using latest snapshot from Mageia of version 6.
Had no problems with getting connected once I
dug the proper tool out of the messy menus.

Tom was next in.  He brought along a light-weight
Dell without an optical drive.  I picked this up at one
point and it may be lighter than my Android tablet with
keyboard.  Too bad these lightweight machines don't
have DVD RW drives or the keyboard with numeric
keypads that I prefer.

Joseph P. arrived by 11:10  returning too Linux Pro magazines
and he took home the latest Linux Pro Magazine on hand and
the disk that came with it.

Ken S and his wife arrived by 11:15

Maestro had been having problems with Ubuntu 16.04 updated
kernel  and reverted to an older version,  He with Ken's help
installed a later but more stable version afaik.

Tom was looking for a Fedora version on a flash drive
I rebooted to PCLinuxOS and used the ddcopy tool to create
that drive on a Flash Drive he brought to the meeting.
Eventually he was satisfied with the result. This made me
happy to because it was the first time I had used the tool,
The PCLinuxOS version that I installed a few months back
was noted for not having hybrid isos.  Supposedly running
a tool "isohybrid" on the files would correct this but I see
no evidence that it worked.
     So I was glad to see that the ddcopy tool worked.

Michael B showed at 11;30 Just to be there.  His presence
was welcome.

Daniel fascinated by my report of an un-copyable Debian
image from the magazine disk so trying it on the Dell
under PCLOS.   We managed to copy the disk onto another
and found that the Debian 8.4 32-bit version lacked WiFi
support.  Daniel tried to rig a way though his phone but
we had no success for various reasons.

   About 12:30 Michael left for other business.
   By 1 PM the rest of us left and Daniel gave me a ride
to my front door.  Thanks again Daniel.

     Well the next meeting will be on July 18th.
  Expect a notice about it on the 11th of July.
Not sure which new distribution releases will
be featured.

     Any attendees of the meeting are free to provide
corrections to this report asap so that misunderstandings
will not be perpetuated.

     Oh as long as I am writing i feel I must ask, are we doing
outreach to younger communities?  No Linux User/Evangelist
is getting younger and we will need people to replace those
stalwarts whose efforts maintain our dis-organization.

     Thanks for your attention.

     Bobbie Sellers