[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting Sunday July 3, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 27 10:29:42 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,
     Pardon if any errors have crept in as I have reviewed
this text multiple times

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.
     Newcomers to the use of Linux are welcome.

   Come early to the meeting and you will have a easier time raising
your own agenda and getting attention for the issues you might
want to raise.

Disks added to the selection:
(All were tested on the Dell E6420 in Live mode.)

pclinuxos64-mate-2016.06.iso
Linux kernel is 4.4.11
File manager is Caja 1.14.1 and it is like, the FM in LXDE, about
50% as capable as Dolphin.
Firefox  46.0.1 is the browser but you have other choices as well.
Thunderbird 45.1.1 is the mailer/Usenet client.

Fedora-LXDE-Live-i386-24-1.2 - usable i suppose but not much
software and could not use CLI to determine kernel in use.  Said
that "uname -a" was unknown.  Used Leafpad and tried to load
Midori  but would not load.  It does not have a lot more software.
Only an Image viewer in Graphics

Fedora-KDE-Live-i386-24-1.2.iso was able to determine that kernel
was 4.5.11 etc.  Used KWrite to load the LXDE notes.  Both KDE and
LXDE versions of Fedora have the Calligra Office Suite.  KDE has
better software but it is Plasma 5 again and while the starry sky
  motif in the background is nice, Plasma 5 ain't up to my low standards
yet.
Has more items in the menus.

Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-24-1.2.iso has gedit  but it ate
all the notes I wrote about the preceding Fedora distributions.
I could not get a space character or find a way to adjust the
keyboard controls.   Generally speaking this has been an
experience frequently with  the Fedora  Workstation.
I think the interface or Display Manager is Gnome but I
don't really feel like diving back into that mess.   I might
lose more notes.    LibreOffice5.1 is supplied.

Fedora has various "Spins" which are basically just
variants according to the Desktop Managers.
Previews of the Spins are at the URL below:
<https://spins.fedoraproject.org/>

Fedora also has "Labs" which are about which
tools are included on the iso file.  More discussion
of which Labs are available are at:
<https://labs.fedoraproject.org/>
Anyone who spots a Spin or Lab that I have
failed to download can ask about that and
likely I will be willing to get it on disk for you,

   Peppermint OS 7
     A new version aimed at people who are happier with
cloud computing, of Peppermint OS 7.  I will not download
the iso file unless someone requests it, but check out the
  Peppermint site at:
<https://peppermintos.com/>
     I have to say I like the site design but don't care at all for
the idea of depending on cloud computing.

     I hope to see some of you all on Sunday next.

     Happy days!

     Bobbie Sellers