[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday, 20 June 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jun 13 10:42:53 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.  .
and every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

   Come early to the meeting and you will have a easier time raising
your own agenda.

     Ok as of Wednesday the 9th of June I was able to get the Linux Pro
magazine for June.  It has two distributions on one double-sided DVD.
The side I think is good is the 32 bit side with Debian 8.4 in 3 versions
for 586, 686 and 686 PAE.  I don't care too much for the included
Cinnamon interface.  Yes it ran ok on my AMD 64 x 4 core machine.
But it is a bit fussy for my taste.  Menu is intended for people who
don't know the names of their tools.
     I just found out on Friday, June 10, 2016 that this Debian cannot be
copied.  What a pain but will try to find the appropriate Iso files.
     Have found the Debian 8.5 alternative with non-free software
in i386 with a KDE - DE and another with a XFCE DE.

     The other side is Manjaro running xfce. This one works and is gaining
some small improvements but it mounts everything that might be mountable
and shows that it has done so with small icons that fill up at least
one third of the screen.  Ugly.   You can have task bars vertical on the
left
and horizontally on the bottom plus free-floating desktop bar.  All will
hold which ever tools you want ready to hand.

     Both of these are supplied with older versions of common tools under
the Debian aegis of Icedove and Iceweasel for Thunderbird and Firefox.
Also they tend to be listed as mailer and web browser in the menus.

     The magazine itself has a feature on Tuning Solid State disk drives.
and a tips on setting up KDE's Plasma 5,  5 Options for peer to peer
networking.
and the usual features on Security.

      Besides that if you want small I have two versions of Porteus that
I downloaded from Distrowatch and both fit on CDs.  I got one for KDE
and the other for xfce.  These seem to use the trick of having you
download the packages you will want to have.

     I have System Rescue CD x86 4.7.3 iso on hand and you should check
out the web site for lots of useful information including how to put it
on a, CD, install it on your Hard Disk, Flash Drive or on a DVD with
4 Gigabytes of space for rescued data.  Manual and download links
at the url below.
<http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/>

     I have been having a lot of trouble with Grub2 as I keep ending up
at a prompt with no idea of how to move forward from there.  Super
Grub2 has been rescuing me on this. SG2 disk only does that i.e.
boot up stranded system.  I think it might be installable to hard disk
as well.  I will not be bringing the affected computer to the meeting
but as last meeting I will have the working Dell E3420.

    Fedora 24 will be out on the 21st so I will not have it until the
meeting
on July 3.

     I hope I will get to see some of you at the meeting.

     Bobbie Sellers