[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday May 1, 2016 (Zenial Xerus on MAY Day)

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 25 16:09:42 PDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 01:49 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/xenial
>>
>> 1. Hospitable, especially to visiting strangers or foreigners.
>> 2. Of the relation between a host and guest; friendly.
> It's stolen directly (see .signature) from the Greek word ξενία
> ('xenia'), meaning hospitality to those far from home -- a major theme
> in Homer's epic poems, especially _The Odyssey_, for example.
>
> But it's the 21st Century, so let's explain it with a comic strip!  ;->
> http://greekmythcomix.com/comic/xenia/
>
> The concept is cognate to 'hachnasat orchim' (welcoming guests) in
> Genesis 18-8 and 19:1–8 (Abraham and Lot), to the Old Norse 'ristna'
> (hospitality, munificence) in the Viking Icelandic sagas, to
> 'гостеприимство' (hospitality) in Russian, to 'fialachd' (bounty,
> hospitality, liberality) in Irish Gaelic, etc.
>

> [This posting sponsored by the Society for the Incurably Polyglot, and
> by the Friends of UTF-8.]
>
> And, hey, חַג כָּשֵׁר וְשָׂמֵחַ  for those celebrating Passover.  (Chag kasher
> v'same'ach, in case the encoding fails me.)

       Zenial is not the same as xenial.  If the word was Xenial it
would be a good name
for a distribution but ground squirrels in the US are frequently and
literally rabid.

     I know it is harder to look up.but that is the spelling that the
Canonical
forces give and the definition may be slang but it means what I said it
did.
     <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Zenial>

     Approaching perfection possible neologism from zenith or from a
misapprehenions
of Zen Buddhist goals.

     bliss