[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday May 1, 2016 (Zenial Xerus on MAY Day)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 25 13:49:44 PDT 2016

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/xenial
>
> 1. Hospitable, especially to visiting strangers or foreigners.
> 2. Of the relation between a host and guest; friendly.

It's stolen directly (see .signature) from the Greek word ξενία
('xenia'), meaning hospitality to those far from home -- a major theme
in Homer's epic poems, especially _The Odyssey_, for example.

But it's the 21st Century, so let's explain it with a comic strip!  ;->
http://greekmythcomix.com/comic/xenia/

The concept is cognate to 'hachnasat orchim' (welcoming guests) in
Genesis 18-8 and 19:1–8 (Abraham and Lot), to the Old Norse 'ristna'
(hospitality, munificence) in the Viking Icelandic sagas, to
'гостеприимство' (hospitality) in Russian, to 'fialachd' (bounty,
hospitality, liberality) in Irish Gaelic, etc.

[This posting sponsored by the Society for the Incurably Polyglot, and
by the Friends of UTF-8.]

And, hey, חַג כָּשֵׁר וְשָׂמֵחַ  for those celebrating Passover.  (Chag kasher
v'same'ach, in case the encoding fails me.)

--
Cheers,    "Not only does the English language borrow from other languages,
Rick Moen  it sometimes chases them through dark alleys, hits them over the