[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday May 1, 2016 (Zenial Xerus on MAY Day)

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 25 12:26:42 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Ubuntu 16.04 (Zenial Xerus) was out last week and I now have
added the following to the disk library.
      kubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso
     ubuntu-16.04-dvd-AMD64.iso
     ubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso
     ubuntu-16.04-Mate-AMD64.iso
     ubuntu-16.04-Mate-i386.iso
     ubuntustudio-16.04-dvd-i386.iso
     ubuntustudio-16.04-dvd-AMD64.iso
     lubuntu-16.04-alternate-i386.iso
     lubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386

     and
     Quirky 8.0 (Puppy) Xerus64 using Ubuntu repositories.

     And what I got is only  a fraction of what is available
at <http://releases.ubuntu.com/>!

     Edubuntu. for teachers and students
     Kubuntu for fans of the KDE Plasma  system.
     Lubuntu - light weight distro working fine on older hardware,
     Mythbuntu  - for people using computers as digital TV recorders
     Ubuntu GNOME - with Gnome rather than Unity neither of which i care
for.
     UbuntuKylin - for Chinese users
     Ubuntu MATE - uses a fork of Gnome and this is better than late
Gnome IMO,
     UbuntuStudio - Tools for audio artists and more.
     Xubuntu -  it uses the Xfce desktop environment which is lighter
weight.
There are other things on here and server versions of most of the above..
The alternate version may be handy if the regular version have install
problems.

     I have a few other distributions with me as well including late
versions of the
Mandriva derived forks I use regularly Mageia 5 and PCLinuxOS 2016.03
Mageia by the way is out of France where Mandriva was publshed originally.
PCLOS is a USA effort that started before Mandriva failed. PCLinuxOS 201.03
I am using at the moment with KDE's Plasma version 4.14.18. Also Knoppix.

     If anyone wants a version of the 'buntu which i do not have in the
library
already get in touch and I will do my best to get it on a DVD or CD for you.
Zenial(close to perfection), Xerus (an African ground squirrel) so despite
naming it after a ground squirrel this release must be close to perfection.

     Well I hope to see a few more of you at the meeting than were at
the last
meeting though it was good to see Joseph.

     Bobbie Sellers