[sf-lug] resolver problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 8 17:11:10 PDT 2016

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> I make no claims as to gui efficiency but merely point out that I am
> a rotten typist.

Fair enough.  Of course, because of bash filename and command
completion, you _can_ be a rotten typist and everything is still fine.

Therefore, if your problem is mistyping filenames / diretory paths /
names of commands, you must be somehow forgetting to use the Tab key or
something, or never realised you should, because the shell is there to
take care of correcting what you type _for_ you.

I _do_ notice that newcomers to Linux often appear amazingly slow to use
that feature.  I'll be helping and keep saying (as I see the newcomer
repeatedly typing things tortuously and also doing mistypes):

'Hit Tab.  Tab!'
'What?'
'Hit Tab.  Really.  Tab.  Now.  Please hit Tab now.  No, not Enter.  Tab.'
'What?'

> Not particularly cute and it gives little visual feedback.
> You miss the point that the fast I try to type the more mistakes
> I make and I only successfully copied one Commodore 64 program
> from printed BASIC source to another machine.

And why are you unable to have the shell catch and prevent/correct those
typing mistakes?  The reason I ask is that everyone else is.

That Tab key, it really is your friend on any modern Unix shell.
https://www.debian-administration.org/article/316/An_introduction_to_bash_completion_part_1
There are also any number of optional packages to make the bash shell
able to complete and correct typing in additional contexts.

> You miss my point,  I was not talking about dot files but about user
> interfaces that hide the structure of the file systems.  Such as Unity
> and a couple of others.

Not a complaint, but you pretty much changed the subject, then.