[sf-lug] resolver problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 8 13:54:29 PDT 2016

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> I started using gui tools on the Amiga and my carpal tunnels seem to
> be fine after about 30 years.  I do get cramps at times in my forearms
> but believe it to be a side-effect of muscle weakening due to my
> S.E.I.D.

I'm delighted to hear that, and wish your fingers all the best.

I started using GUI tools on 1980s OSes, and outgrew them.

> >When people ask me to suggest a 'GUI file manager', my cheerful top
> >recommendation is running bash in an xterm.  ;->
>
> If I could type reasonable well I might agree but I cannot so I will
> not.

Oh, if you seriously allege that a 'GUI file manager' is a more
efficient way to do Unix file operations, I'll be glad to do a small
wager and competition with you.  Michael can be the judge and guy with a
stopwatch, and we can each specify a few relatively complex operations
like 'find and delete all files inside a subtree bearing filename
extension .bak', 'find all files owned by www-data that are
world-writeable and remove the world-writeable permission', and 'find
all files inside a subtree containing the text string '2015 income tax'.

Fastest execution on the majority of operations tested, one of us buys
the other a cup of coffee at Cafe Enchante.  Sound good?

I predict I can do those using simple bash operations before you can
even do more than get started with your 'GUI file manager'.  And both of
those are very practical, non-contrived file operations that are
important in the real world.  (If you doubt this, I can detail why.)

Separately and in addition, unlike file operations with a 'GUI file
manager', operations conducted using standard Unix tools (bash and
friends) can be prototyped, edited, debugged, stored, and scripted --
and will work the same, first time, every time, exactly the same without
worrying about finger-fumbling.

But I'm glad you like your 'GUI' thing.  I'm sure it's cute and draws
pretty pictures, and gives soothing visual feedback.

> And though it is branded Iceweasel it is still a Firefox with a
> winter coat.

Yes.  Is there a point?

> I rather like it but don't want to go to the problems I would have in
> setting it up on other distributions.

As in all matters, I'm delighted you are able to implement your own
opinions on your own machines.

> >Not everyone leaps on the insane Firefox upgrade treadmill, Bobbie.
>
> No choice in jumping on or off.  And it is Mozilla doing the insane
> upgrade treadmill.  I just use what the distribution has with a few
> additions.

By contrast, I do my best to be in charge of what I use.  I guess each
of us gets his or her wishes.  Happy ending!

Is there a point?

> It seems to be the rationale for a lot of modern GNU/Linux desktops.

Dotfiles were created a very long time before modern Linux desktops.  I
just told you the rationale for their creation, based on knowledge of
Unix history.  You wish to doubt me about that based on what you think
'modern GNU/Linux desktops' are doing?  Well, good luck with that.