[sf-lug] resolver problem

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Apr 4 19:30:46 PDT 2016

Alex Kleider writes:
> I checked resolv.conf but clearly the way Ubuntu is configured they don't
> want me messing with it:
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 10.0.0.2
> search sonic.net

I've had terrible problems with resolvconf (admittedly they were
years ago and I haven't tried it since). apt-get purge resolveconf
has generally cured them. Or at least disable it and see if things
improve. Whatever handles your DHCP (probably dhcpcd or dhclient)
should update resolve.conf with whatever info it gets from your DHCP
server, and if you're using a static IP address instead of DHCP
you're best off managing resolv.conf yourself. I've never been sure
what resolvconf is supposed to add, aside from making life interesting
by randomly changing resolv.conf to values that don't work.

(Disclaimer: I don't use NetworkManager either, since I could never
get it to work with my lightweight openbox-with-no-desktop setup.
But I've heard complaints about resolvconf misbehavior even from
people who used NetworkManager.)

        ...Akkana