[sf-lug] resolver problem

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Mon Apr 4 18:44:31 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-04 18:33, Michael Paoli wrote:
> What does your nsswitch.conf file say about hosts?
> What's in your /etc/resolv.conf file?
>

>> From: "Alex Kleider" <akleider at sonic.net>
>> Subject: [sf-lug] resolver problem
>> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 10:51:43 -0700
>
> [snip lots of stuff that omits mention of nsswitch.conf and
> resolv.conf]

I checked resolv.conf but clearly the way Ubuntu is configured they
don't want me messing with it:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 10.0.0.2
search sonic.net

As for nsswitch.conf, it's Greek to me but here it is:
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed,
try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Further info: I moved the hard drive from my computer to another (same
model thinkpad x301) but the symptoms were the same so have to assume
the problem is NOT to do with a bad wifi hardware component, which is
what I initially suspected.