[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of 21 March 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 23 22:06:36 PDT 2016

Hi LUGers.

.    I started this a bit early  as noted below
     4:03 PM   have restarted and booted to PCLinux OS KDE
2016.03 to carry to the SF-LUG meeting of 2016/03/21

Opened this file to start the meeting notes.

Did a little copying of files from the Mageia 5 /home to the
  PCLOS /home for testing.

4:49 PM going to Suspend to RAM as the Hibernate is
not working.
5:00 PM left for the meeting
5:45 PM arrived at the Cafe Enchante.

   Notebook setup went ok once I configured the password on
the Cafe Enchante network.
   Aaron was about 15 minutes early then
   Joseph P and Maestro showed up.

   Maestro is having problems with his networking softwares
which I do not understand.  He  frequently has to reboot to
get to the functioning version of the network manager.

   Aaron is interested in getting a copy of 32-bit PCLOS so
I wrote it to his 32 GiB Flash Drive from which he can
move it to his machine an Acer Aspire 1 a very compact
netbook but without a CD/DVD drive.
     Just a note but Tex Star turned the 32 bit distros
over the Community and you can find them at this
URL <http://communityiso.pclosusers.com/>

   Joseph returned the 3 Linux Pro magazines he had
borrowed.  He borrowed the copy of the later release
which I got and noted in the mailing list last week.

   No one was terribly interested in my newly installed
PC-LOS64-KDE 2016.03 which I had not fully configured
to my use. Nor could anyone offer anything but the
obvious suggestions about the failure of the Full Monty
2016.03 to complete its boot.  Since then I have gone
to the Support site and other folks are having the
same problem,
     No matter I went to the home of the user for whom
I do tech support and was able to boot up both
the Flash Drive and the DVD on his Dell 6510
(i5 with Nvidia machine).  So it is something either
in the UEFI support provided or written into my
firmware.

   Maestro was worried about the kernel version as the
distro  he is using is at the 3.15 vicinity my Mageia is at
kernel 4.1.5 and the PCLOS is at 4.4.4.  Apparently
the PCLOS folks finally listened to some of the users
who complained about slow kernel updates.
     The Mate 64 bit version has a 4.4.5 kernel.

   Jim S. showed up about 7:15 PM  and contributed
to the conversation.

7:55 I started to pack up my stuff

   Jim gave myself, Aaron and Joseph P. rides to our
respective   destinations.

     The next meeting will be on Sunday April 3, 2016
and the regular announcement will be out by March 28.

     If anyone has corrections or emendations then please
send them ASAP before my errors become fixed in
the readers' minds.

     Bobbie Sellers