[sf-lug] Suspicious email from LinuxMafia

jim jim at well.com
Wed Mar 9 20:56:14 PST 2016

I found your reply helpful, primarily with respect to

* all headers in e-mail are able to be forged with the exception of the
envelope 'From ' header and the last-prior-hop IP address in the
Received header.

* do `whois 5.239.148.71'

* your explanation of the trail such spam takes
from its origin through Mailman to me.

As a note, I don't mind getting some spam, and I
like helping out.

     Networking is my greatest weakness. I'm like
someone from planet Zorn who came to this planet
in the late 1970s, learned how to administer a
Unix host, then went bowling with some odd people
who gave me a strange drink. I fell asleep behind
some bushes and woke up a few years after 2000.
Now I've learned that having some system administration
skills is like trying to run a race with one leg.

     I read Winnie the Pooh something like eight or
ten times when I was a kid (per your "droll" notice).