[sf-lug] Linux Mint iso files hacked.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 21 17:11:32 PST 2016

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Full story and comments(read them) at:
> <http://betanews.com/2016/02/21/linux-mint-hacked-iso-image-compromised/>

As a followup, let me restate my main point in non-technical terms:

The article said 'A bad thing happened with Linux Mint, and you should
avoid this particular bad thing.'  _But_ the article told you absolutely
nothing about how to prevent/avoid countless other bad things just like
it.  Nor did it attempt to explain what really happened.[1]

Even though _just_ a routine checksum recalculation upon download was
good enough in this case (and almost all cases).

This is an endemic problem with the IT press.  They're always about
'Here's news of a thing', but with zero attempt to understand and
explain.

Checksums, yay.
Signatures, yay.

[1] On the bright side, betanews.com did link to
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994 for more information, so that's good.