[sf-lug] request for help re ssh -- sshd login failure

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Feb 10 07:26:11 PST 2016

Rick Moen writes:
> You just add '-v' or '-vv' for more verbosity or '-vvv' for even more
> verbosity until your brain melts from information overload.

I'll second Rick's suggestion of ssh -v and -vv. Usually when I've
had problems with ssh connecting, I've used -v then -vv, found the
relevant error message(s), googled and eventually figured out the
problem and a fix.

Of course, figuring out what in all that spew is the relevant
message you need to google may take some experience and practice,
but it'll be somewhere near the end (not actually the last line),
and fortunately googling is cheap. So if the first message you try
doesn't give any useful answers, try another.

        ...Akkana