[sf-lug] SCALE14x and UbuCon Summit in Pasadena

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Wed Jan 6 11:48:05 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

As you may know, the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE)[0] happens
every year down near Los Angeles, California. In a whole new venue to
make more room for this event that keeps growing, it's in Pasadena
this year. While it's not near to the bay area, it is the only major
open source conference that happens every year here in California.

It's coming up quickly, January 21-24th

They have a great list of speakers[1], including keynotes from Cory
Doctorow and Sarah Sharp. They have also continued their four day
format, so the event lasts from Thursday through Sunday.

Personally, I've been working with the organizers of a big Ubuntu
event being hosting called the UbuCon Summit[2]. It is a two day
event, co-hosted with the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE)[2] on
Jan. 21 and 22 (Thursday and Friday). There will be some great talks,
including Mark Shuttleworth as an opening keynote and talks from
leaders from the Ubuntu community[3]. We will also have an Ubuntu
booth for the 3 days that the SCALE expo hall is open (Friday -
Sunday), where we will be showing off the new Ubuntu phones, and
Ubuntu Orange Box and hopefully some Internet of Thing (IoT) devices.

The UbuCon Summit is a FREE event that is open to anybody, but we do
ask that you register[5] first so that we know how many attendees to
expect.

Registration for SCALE is also encouraged so you can come visit our
booth and attend talks at the main SCALE conference all weekend. You
can get a code for half off the $85 registration on the UbuCon Summit
registration page[5].

We look forward to seeing you there. The more people who attend the
better it will be, so please help us spread the word.

[0] https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/
[1] https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/speakers
[2] http://ubucon.org/en/events/ubucon-summit-us/
[3] http://ubucon.org/en/events/ubucon-summit-us/talks/