[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meeting of Sunday January 3, 2016

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 4 11:48:50 PST 2016

I forgot to include my usual remarks that
if anyone in attendance had any corrections
or emendations to the report they should let
us know right away here on the ml.

On 01/03/2016 09:13 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> Hi LUGers,
>     Wow we had a great and well-attended meeting.
>
>     I got there about 10:35 AM.
>     My notebook failed to recover from its hibernation
> but after a hard reset I had no further problems with it.
>
>     Maestro showed up by 1100 and he was having a problem with his
> older laptop.
>     Then John S. showed up to try out distros on a nice HP 5600 notebook
>
>     Ken Schaefer and his wife arrived next full of good cheer and
> New Year's greetings.
>     Ken went right on to help Maestro.  The problem had to do with
> an update to GRUB,  Halfway through the meeting I let Ken use my
  |      notebook to access online help files.
>
>     Arron came in with his Netbook which living in the neighborhood
> he brought in a large shopping bag.  Later he enjoyed looking at my
> Linux Pro magazines.
     That should have been Aaron.  He does not live in SF even though his
parents are on the South side of Golden Gate Park.  Aaron did not have
a chance to finish any articles.
     I forgot to mention that Aaron is looking for "good" tutorials for the
Audacity multi-track audio editor and recorder.
     If anyone knows of such please respond to the list.

>     Daniel G. showed apparently for the company.
>
>     Jackie came in with a problem that her system was reporting and
> we were able to help her with that then started an update to
   |     Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (might be 14.10)
>
>     Eric came in next apparently for the company and seem to enjoy
> talking to Jim Stockford who showed up about 12:10 PM.  He also inquired
> about the Noisebridge meeting.
     Joseph Puig is no longer hosting a Noisebridge related meeting.
     Eric was mainly interested in security matters but failed to ask about
TAILS which I had at hand.

>     John S. tried out a lot of new distros on his old notebook and
> was able to boot 4MLinux Rescuekit 15 which worked very well.  He also
> was not able to boot SparkyLinux 4.3 which had worked ok on my machine.
> Rescuekit may be aimed at users of older machines with older drivers.
> SparkyLinux may be aimed at users of newer machines with a limited
> number of drivers. Rescuekit has never booted on my notebook.
>
>     The meeting went on for a while after we packed up our
> computers by 1:00 PM. Parking was bad and while John S, had parked
> on 22nd Jim had found a place on Geary before 32nd. Jim gave me
> a ride home.
>
>     The next SF-LUG meeting will be on Monday January 18. 2016.
>     You can expect my usual note to appear about January 11th
> to remind you all of the next meeting.
>
>     Oh and there is some interesting stuff at
> <http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160104>
>     I refer to Ulix or "Literate Unix" especially
> imagining code you can read like a novel.  Remembering
> that some novels are too bad to be read.
>
>     Bobbie Sellers.
     Thanks to Aaron for these corrections.

        If anyone else has remarks to add to the report then
please do so ASAP so that misconceptions will not have
a chance to become embedded.

     Bobbie Sellers