[sf-lug] SF-LUG & MX records, etc. (sf-lug at lists.sf-lug.org, or ... )

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 2 01:01:10 PST 2016

> Yes, I remember the earlier communications, regarding email and the
> sf-lug list and such.  I was thinking along relatively similar lines,
> but with a slight difference - if/presuming Rick (and Jim, and yourself
> or anyone else relevant that it may matter to), rather than have
> the MX records for the domains go to linuxmafia.com, I was instead
> thinking subdomain, e.g.:
>
> lists.sf-lug.org. IN MX 50 linuxmafia.com.
> (and any other applicable records, e.g. A, AAAA, TXT, SPF, ...)
> ... heck, could even delegate as a DNS subdomain (that might be
> teensy bit overkill, but certainly also highly doable).

It's certainly (generically) better to have a 'lists' subdomain in the
DNS for one's mailing lists.

If you think that is likely to work, e.g., that my MTA and MLM will
process it as you intend, then by all means go ahead (not that I need be
consulted, anyway).

My upthread comment (that MX reference records shouldn't exist for
domains that don't handle SMTP) was before Daniel reminded me of this
idea y'all discused earlier.  Obviously, in that case, the domain
_would_ be handling SMTP.