[sf-lug] correction/clarification/(un?)helpful/intention/attitude/ ???

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 22 12:46:19 PST 2015

> On Tue, 2015-12-22 at 00:18 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > In http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2015q4/011542.html, he said
> > he installed firmware-linux-nonfree, and there are now no no Radeon
> > firmware loading errors.  That's not the same as saying his video
> > works.  His aim is to make X work, not just have no firmware loading
> > errors, right?
>
> In absence of stating that it still doesn't work, I think it's safe to
> assume it now works, especially since he suffixed "[solved]" onto it.

So, basically, after a long walk, we're _exactly_ back where we were
yesterday, when I said:

  And strictly speaking, nobody but Maestro yet knows if his problem
  got solved, because he's never followed up to say 'Thanks, that worked'
  or 'I still have symptom [x]'.

This has not been a good use of your time, or mine.

Maestro, by the way, I've repeatedly tried to politely pass you a
clue that it's good manners to follow up disclosing whether helpers
fixed your problem or not, rather than leaving everyone hanging.
That shows respect for people's time and effort.

Possibly, I've been too subtle in that hint.