[sf-lug] Intel graphics chipsets (was /firmware/radeon)

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Tue Dec 22 10:47:41 PST 2015

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:28:11 -0800

> Yeah, still pretty vague, isn't it?

Not really.  It told me exactly what I needed to know when I set up this laptop - I needed the xf86-video-intel package from the Pacman repository (I run Arch) to get x.org up and running.  It was trickier to make the default sound output the speakers and not the HDMI port because that required adding an argument to one of the ALSA modules.

> lspci  (with -v and such)

Pretty much my go-to tool.

> lsusb

Handy when I'm messing with a new device, but not ordinarily one I use on a day to day basis.

> dmesg | more
> lsmod

Yup and yup.

> less /var/log/X*.log

I find this less useful as x.org gets better at autoprobing chipsets.

> Often, just Web-searching the computer model plus 'video chipset' or
> 'graphics chipset' got you the answer, too.

Yup.

> BTW, is that a Dell XPS 15 Touch 9530 laptop -- or something similar?

It is, yes.  Here's the writeup I did of it:

http://drwho.virtadpt.net/archive/2015/01/05/linux-on-the-dell-xps-15-9530

> However, it also includes this one:
>   02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] (rev ff)

It does; it also didn't show up in the output of that command.

> [1] My employer was continually shipped new demo models of servers,
> workstations, and laptops by major manufacturers, and I took them into a
> lab and wrote reports on how compatible they were with the RHEL, SLES,
> and Solaris versions of the day.  I got pretty good at it, and got to
> play with all the new toys.

Nice!

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415] [ZS]

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

"No, but I can get it out. With a general anesthetic, a cranial drill, and a pair of forceps."