[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Sunday 6 December 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Dec 6 16:04:17 PST 2015

     I caught a fast bus and arrived at Cafe Enchante at about 10:35
Lucky enough to find two adjacent tables and started using them,

     Michael P.  quickly followed and showed us how he could run
the SF-LUG web site on either the notebook he brought with
him or on the blade server he has at home.

     Ken Schaffer showed up next with a box of goodies* to
distribute, before he and his wife left just before 1 PM he
had given most of the goods he brought with him away.
He also demonstrated the Netrunner 17 release that I
had copied to the Penquin 4 GiB drive.

     Joseph P.  came in a few minutes later and I set him up with
nearly every thing I thought he might want to use on the
Dell tower computer.  About 20 minutes into the meeting he
announced his interest in Fedora and I wrote the Fedora
Workstation iso file to a disk.

     Eric A. who lives only a few blocks away in the neighborhood
  came in next.  He and Michael P. seemed to be having a constructive
  discussion at some length.

     Michael B.  Showed up to discuss a few matters with me.  It seemed
to be history of our political movements in the 1960s and 1970s

     Jim Stockford showed up about 1220 and was somewhat confused
by some references.  Finally I demoed the Quirky (Puppy) version
6.7 aka Werewolf and showed off the Rox file manager which is
attached to the window of any icon you open and showed off
the shell which is bash under the surface.
     Jim was also baffled by the Penguin flash drive I gave him.
Finally he let me open the package and install the key chain with
the Emtec retainer for the penguin's lower portion.
     Something like the Rox file manager may be the future especially
for younger people coming to the Linux scene, but I have to say
that I prefer the Dolphin file manager though if it evolves too
far I might have to change my mind.

      About 1 PM was all packed up.  Michael P. and  Joseph P.
waited with me as Jim Stockford brought his car around.
     Michael P. got a ride to Franklin and Geary.  When Jim
dropped me at home I ran inside and brought the Dell tower
out to Joseph P. who took it home.  This is the tower I intended
last year to use as a Video recorder but I had trouble finding
the proper tuner. This was a gift from John Strazziano.

*Goodies included but not limited to Lindt chocolate bars,
Micro SD card readers, a 16 GiB flash drive and a couple
of Penguin Flash drives by Emtec.  If I included everything
would have to mention the several disks given away.

     Well if anyone can point out what I might have missed
     please do so ASAP.

         I have the Linux Mint 17.3 Mate' in 64 and 32 bit versions
     so let me know if you want a copy of either or both before
     15 December.

     The next meeting and the last meeting of 2015 will
     be on Monday 21 December from 6-8 PM.

         Thanks for your attention.

         Bobbie Sellers