[sf-lug] sf-lug site & hardware ... pretty old -- (not!) a decade or more? ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 26 23:09:22 PST 2015

> Ah ... [GM]Hz.  I remember ye olde original IBM PC.  If I recall
> correctly, 4.77 MHz 8086

Not that it matters, but just as a signpost of how primitive the things
were, the IBM Personal Computer and Personal Computer XT (and clones)
used the Intel 8088.  The 8086 would have been a step up.

The 8086 was Intel's 16-bit replacement for its 8-bit 8008 & 8080 CPUs
that helped launch the CP/M era of the 1970s.  The 8088 was essentially
the same 16-bit CPU as the 8086, except with an external 8-bit bus.
Rumour has it that IBM standardised on the crummier CPU to make it
easier for existing manufacturers of 8-bit cards to enter the
marketplace.