[sf-lug] gpg, dd, find, tar, cpio, bugs, pax, ... oh my! :-)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 16 00:08:34 PST 2015

> The seeking would not be to compress, but to make a full-system backup,
> probably without compression. A mirrored pair might be used too, but it
> does not replace rotating snapshots.

I really don't think this is a reasonable way to make backups of large
video files, personally.  Files that can be corrupted through small
errors ought to IMO be subjected to minimal processing, e.g., stored
verbatim and with all copies done with checksum-verification.

If by 'mirrored pair' you mean RAID1-ing mass storage, please be aware
that that is storage redundancy, not backup.   _Redundancy is not backup_.
See:  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/backup-strategy.html

Quoting:

  People are confused about what a backup is, and what it is not.

  o  redundant storage: E.g., RAID1, RAID5.
  o  archival storage: E.g., migrating a billed-out project's files from the
     company file server to CDRs.
  o  backup: Technical means to make your data survive Thor hitting your
     server with Mjolnir. Or to get back the directory Moriarty deleted from
     it last Thursday.

  These are very distinct concepts, yet many people have them hopelessly
  confused, and call all of them "backup".