[sf-lug] gpg, dd, find, tar, cpio, bugs, pax, ... oh my! :-)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 15 22:43:42 PST 2015

> Exit/return values are also useful - 0 is
> convention on Unix/Linux for success/"true" for commands and within
> shell, and many (but definitely not all - e.g. Perl) other areas within
> Linux/Unix/BSD.

Seen on IRC:

(morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
(alec_eso): 1, morganj
(morganj): bastard.

> But on Linux, if you've got files >8GiB, GNU tar might be your only
> feasible option (besides dd, and filesystem snapshots and the like).

I would argue that anyone with individual files over 8GB has more
fundamental problems like 'Dude, you need to move any data like that
into better forms of storage.'

(I've seen logfiles that big at $FORMER_FIRM, but that's a place where
logfile accumulation is out of control, and where there's an insane lack
of willingness to chase down errors that spew at rapid rates into the
logs.)