[sf-lug] LVM ? :-)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 11 23:49:18 PST 2015

> ...but repartitioning is quite inconvenient and generally requires a
> reboot if it's where the operating system is running or the data is
> otherwise being used.

Tiny quibble -- and I'm almost ashamed to post it (except it's gentle
revenge for your own tiny quibbles ;->  ), but:   In the general case,
repartitioning because you need to move data around to destroy some
partitions and change sizes doesn't _quite_ necessitate a reboot, only
going to runlevel 1 long enough to do maintenance.  Which amounts to
going offline, naturally.

If you have to do this shuffle more than once a decade on average for a
system, I'd say you're doing something very wrong, so personally I think
LVM's gosh-wow factor of being able to do this transparently, because of
an extra indirection layer, comes at too high a price in complexity and
increased likelihood of system-endangering sysadmin error.

But hey, suit yourself.