[sf-lug] gpg, dd, find, tar, cpio, bugs, pax, ... oh my! :-)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Oct 21 23:46:56 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 20:15 -0800, Michael Paoli wrote:
> For another example of GNU bloat (and bugs!), have a read through this
> earlier posting of mine:
> [buug] Why I tend to prefer pax(1) over tar(1) and cpio(1) ...
> http://buug.org/pipermail/buug/2012-October/003944.html

Welp, I just went back to that message so that I could issue the
following commands in favor of a tar command:

cd /mnt/a
sudo find . -depth -print0 | sudo pax -w -0d -x sv4cpio | xz > /mnt/b/backup.cpio.xz

I am now kicking myself because I come back 5 days later to see a couple
of instances of:

pax: Unable to access ./foo: Value too large for defined data type

Both files were Thunderbird IMAP mbox files, easily redownloadable, each
in excess of 2GiB. Maybe I should've stuck with tar for snapshotting the
increasingly failing hard disk in the s.o.'s laptop. I'm now looking at
B&H Photo's page on the Samsung 850 Evo to take its place.