[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meeting Sunday September 6, 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Aug 31 09:28:08 PDT 2015

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
(and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M).
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.     Always glad to help people who are interested in
getting Linux running on their machines.

     Well I got a new Linux Pro magazine on Wednesday, August 26.
The distributions this month are Fedora Workstation 22 for the x86_64
and Majaro for 32 bit machines.   I have to say that I don't find these
too inspiring so I went out to Distrowatch.com and got a couple of items,
Scientific Linux as SL-6.7-x86_64-DVD.iso and the latest Beta from
Ubuntu as Kubuntu in kubuntu-15.10-beta1-desktop-amd64.iso.
Getting the new Super Grub2 Disk download as I type.

I got the Kubuntu in order to see what is happening with the new
Plasma.  A LUG member is interested in Scientific Linux so I make
a point of getting this in case he wants to try it out.  This is
an install only distribution. Since then I got KaOS-2015.08-x86.
As with Kubuntu Kaos is  using KDE's  Plasma 5 and both fall short
of my expectations.    Oh yeah both the Kubuntu and the KaOS
have kernels above 4.1.0.   Plasma got in the way of my appreciation
  of the advanced kernel.

     This months magazine is quite interesting and I hope I have time to
read more but it has an article on Mister Home, a Linux home automation
and entertainment management package with a simple interface.
     Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux servers with Windows clients, Honeypot to
spy on spying intruders, KDE's Kup backup tool, Libre Office Viewer for
Android, Color Management on Linux and Drawing tools.

     There is a bit of news some of which I had not read before about
how KDE has changed its designations of various parts of the Plasma
platform was most interesting, and of course Klaus Knopper's (of Knoppix)
usual fine column as well as news & views from other Linux elites.

   The KDE project will be developing Plasma 5, KDE Frameworks 5 and
KDE Applications 5 independently.  So no more KDE version numbers.
Strangely I read about this in a review of the KaOS Live Distro with
KDE5 in this recent issue of Linux Pro #178.   When I brought up the
issue with KDE no one bothered to point out the change in nomenclature
in a intelligible way but strongly asserted that KDE is People!
So is Soylent Green, a fictional nutritional product, but I always
was told KDE was a Desktop Environment, but all things change.

     Hope to see you there and if I do not have I hope everyone
has a lovely Labor Day Weekend.

     Bobbie Sellers