[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Monday, August 17, 2015

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 21 10:09:57 PDT 2015

Monday, August 17, 2015 at the Cafe Enchante.

     I arrived about 1740 and tried to setup.
I had a problem with the Wireless password which was not
resolved until later.

  1800  Maestro showed up but because of  low turnout
gave up his plan to install Kali.  I gave him  the disk and
what he intends to do with it  I do not know.
    Apparently I also intended to give him a copy
of Debian 8 for the i386.  I have prepared that
since the meeting..
    Since he too was having trouble accessing the
WiFi I finally asked and the password has been changed.

  1830  John S. showed up  He tried a couple of my
  new disks on his machine.  It seems he is involved
  in a plan to provide some working machines to
  an low-income area and needs more hard drives.
  This came out later in the meeting when Jim
  and he were talking about what he was doing
  with 25 machines or thereabouts stashed in
  his garage.

  1840 Jim Stockford showed up.  He started the
  discussion on router security which I had heard
  about earlier online and investigated some
  information.
    I gave him the Linux Format magazine with the
article on the UK's Fuse Raspberry PI console
machine for delivery to Ron W.

    Other incidents: my numeric keypad stopped
  working.   I made desultory attempts to fix it
at the meeting but looking up the problem on
the Internet once I was home got me a few answers.
      Before I was done I had to change the keyboard
type in:
  "System Settings/Hardware/Input/Keyboard/Advanced"
  where I opened every section that seemed to have
anything to do with problem and made what
seemed to be compatible choices.  I use KDE  so I
don't know what i would have had to do with other
systems..

    1950 Maestro left and the rest of us got our stuff together
and left by 2005

    Well anyone who was there should feel free to let the
list know about anything I omitted or misstated.

   Next meeting will be on Sunday September 6, 2015.
   I will put out the regular reminder here about August 31.

     Thanks for your attention.

       Bobbie Sellers