[sf-lug] DNS, testing/troubleshooting ... (Re: Looks great, thanks! Re: linuxmafia.com/svlug.org DNS slaves for sf-lug.{com, org}! :-))

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 24 02:30:38 PDT 2015

> I'm guessing perhaps your dig(1) didn't attempt IPv6 for some reason....

Yeah, maybe.

BTW, 'Litte-Datamaskin' translates as 'little-computer'.

Litte-Datamaskin:~ rick$ dig -6 +nssearch sf-lug.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -6 +nssearch sf-lug.com.
;; global options: +short +cmd
Litte-Datamaskin:~ rick$ dig -6 +nssearch sf-lug.org.

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> -6 +nssearch sf-lug.org.
;; global options: +short +cmd
Litte-Datamaskin:~ rick$

Well, that sucks.  Not a very controlled experiment, anyway:  I'm not
sure offhand about either the client stack nor about the capabilties of
the local nameservers, as I'm getting the DHCP lease from my wife's WAP,
and Ghod Only Knows how she has that configured.  I could get to the
bottom of that, but on the whole it'd be better to start with a test
platform with fewer uncontrolled variables.

Anyway, yeah, obviously an IPv6 problem is your solution for the
upthread problem.