[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meetng on Monday July 20th, at Cafe Enchante.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jul 13 16:51:20 PDT 2015

Hi LUGers.

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     I will have Linux Pro magazine Issue #176 at the meeting.  It has
articles on
security and on using security tools, a Git tutorial for non-programmers
a discussion of LXD, the Canonical container alternative and even an
article on
systemd.
     If anyone is looking for a particular distribution get in touch with me
before the meeting.   Earlier in the notice for July 2 I referred to some
of the new stuff but here is a list.
      Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” MATE  “Rafaela” Cinnamon are covered
below.
     OpenMandrivaLx-2014.2.i586.iso could not download it and I tried 3X,
     OpenMandrivaLx-2014.2.x86_64.iso nothing worth the effort this time.
as it seems less capable than 2014.1,
     linuxmint-17.2-mate-64bit.iso  very nice and I even liked it a bit
but Mate has
no advantages over KDE.
     linuxmint-17.2-mate-32bit.iso nice enough if you have that older
machine.
     linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso and linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-32bit.iso
are Cinnamon and I looked at it and Mate for some time but it has nothing
over Mate and Mate at least inspired a bit of creativity.
     debian-live-8.1.0-amd64-kde-desktop.iso was a disappointment on my
machine while I finally to a desktop it was a weak KDE that met my eyes.
     debian-8.1.0-i386-amd64-source-DVD-1.iso is for install only and is
dual
architecture.  The number of ways to install has gone way up but I still
would have problems with choosing one.
     Debian-8.1.0-live-KDE.iso looks ok but see problems with the other
live KDE volume.
     If I was to install Debian I might like the way it works better but
it had
a hard time in live mode finding the appropriate video drivers.
     4MLinux-13.0.iso is still rather small and is still very powerful
so if you
need a distribution to fit on CD and do Maintenance backups on your
machine this is the one.  It has some other capabilities as well. with
a Mini-server, Multimedia support and Games and puzzles under Mystery
  and that is the 4 Ms of rhe name.

      Thanks for your attention.  Hope to see some of you at the Cafe.

     Bobbie Sellers