[sf-lug] Network Solutions / Web.com & renewing expired domains

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 8 03:20:06 PDT 2015

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Network Solutions / Web.com & renewing expired domains
> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 21:53:02 -0700

> Sorry, tired.
>
>> So, Jim, are you going to do anything about sv-lug.com/svlug-org domain
>> registration, or not?
>
> I mean:  sf-lug.com / sf-lug.org

Yes, that's what I thought you meant, ...
though also, having a peek at whois ...
Not Jim on it, but I notice there *is* an svlug.com (I wasn't
aware of that), and, well, at least in part ...
$ whois -H svlug.com | grep -i -e 'name server:' -e '^[         ]*expir'
    Name Server: NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM
    Name Server: NS1.SVLUG.COM
    Name Server: NS2.SVLUG.COM
    Name Server: NS4.SVLUG.COM
    Expiration Date: 17-jul-2015
Name Server: NS1.LINUXMAFIA.COM
Name Server: NS1.SVLUG.COM
Name Server: NS2.SVLUG.COM
Name Server: NS4.SVLUG.COM
$
The set of nameservers caught my eye, so I presume it's more-or-less
effectively "alias" (alternate domain) for svlug.org
and I notice also its expiration coming up rather soon.
But then also, peeking at
http://svlug.com/
and
http://www.svlug.com/
I'm presuming nobody's horribly concerned about the svlug.com
domain (and yes, same IP for www.svlug.com and www.svlug.org,
but not configured to serve same content).
So ... svlug.com doesn't look to be anything to be particularly
concerned about ... unless some person(s)/group(s)/LUG(s) actually
wish to retain that domain.

Once upon a time, someone bought up ... I think it was:
bayarealinuxusersgroup.org and
bayarealinuxusersgroup.com ... I think the idea / their intent was a
"just in case", as I didn't yet have control of the balug.org
domain (and the one person who did at the time, was quite nice enough
and well intended and all that, but wasn't super responsive at the time
and hadn't been actively involved in BALUG in a very long time).
Anyway, I wasn't really interested in bayarealinuxusersgroup.{org,com} -
as I figured nobody's gonna want to type that in a URL, and if they type
something like that in a search engine (probably closer to
Bay Area Linux User['][s] Group), they'd likely find us and click/select
a link anyway.  So, ... other than ever having
[www.]bayarealinuxusersgroup.{org,com} redirect to the canonical name for
the web site, I was like, "don't even bother", and we let
bayarealinuxusersgroup.{org,com} quite intentionally expire.  That was
years ago now, and probably nobody noticed, knew (besides 2 people), nor
cared about those two alternative domain names.