[sf-lug] sf-lug.{org,com} http://208.96.15.252/

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 6 06:31:08 PDT 2015

Jim,

Unrelated to any operating system changes, looks like you've got
SERIOUS domain registrar issues.  You need to get that fixed if
you want control/ownership of the sf-lug.org and sf-lug.com
domains.

Not sure exactly how the latest developments came about, but I've
noticed and seem to recall ...
o for many months, you'd been working on doing the transfers, but
   had not succeeded at it,
o Network Solutions / Web.com had automatically renewed the domains
   30 days before their expiration - of course at full list price,
   automatically charging (apparently/presumably) your credit card(s) on
   record with them.
o I seem to recall some communications about (possibly) disputing the
   charges.
o I noticed not too long ago (perhaps a week back), the domains were set
   up with information as you as registrant on them, but ALL THE EMAIL
   ADDRESSES (or at least the key admin ones) were NOT valid email
   addresses (which of course would make any domain transfer impossible,
   or damn near so, until such was corrected)
o And now I see in the whois(1) data, sf-lug.org looks like it's
   "expired" (registrar automatically renews, but has option to drop it
   and get refunded or not have to actually pay the renewal, and in the
   meantime they hold it "hostage", but will let you renew for some
   outrageous fee) ... or maybe it's already beyond that point (I think
   it did now say "pending deletion" or some such).  I also notice it says:
   Updated Date: 2015-07-02T15:21:15Z
   ... that would be the earlier expiration time - so, not sure what's up
   with that precisely or the sequence, as earlier it all appeared
   renewed, properly registered, and in good standing ... looks like that
   has been changed/reversed, to having not been renewed, and working
   it's way through the expiration process.  Uhm, ... good luck with that.
o and sf-lug.com - same kind'a mess:
   Name Server: NS1.PENDINGRENEWALDELETION.COM

I'd suggest you get the matter fixed and straightened out ASAP, if you
want the domains, and it may not be particularly easy at this poin
(whereas months ago, it would've been ... I recently transferred a
domain of mine away from Network Solutions / web.com to another
registrar, and it was pretty easy).

I also may not have noticed the impending issue on 2015-07-03 (when
I did the OS changes), as expiration was 2015-07-02 (or became such
when apparently retroactivey reverted to not renewed), and generally the
TTL on the higher level NS records is 48 hours if I recall correctly,
so ... issue may not have been seen Internet-wide until sometime on
2015-07-04 - day after I'd done the OS changes, and the day before the
SF-LUG meeting.

There should also be some older postings from me in ths sf-lug archives
regarding domain transfer and DNS, and how DNS was (and was
operational) and how theoretically it should optimcally get changed
after domain transfer (though shouldn't muck with such changes while
the transfer was in progress - as it was quite good enough to proceed
with the transfer).  In any case, if you need to do registrar DNS from
scratch, you can use that/those postings as guide.

And http://208.96.15.252/ works perfectly fine.  It's DNS/registrar
you need to get fixed.