[sf-lug] New raspberry pi project

John F. Strazzarino jstrazza at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 20:55:16 PDT 2015

I plugged in a pair of powered speakers and got music!  I'm not sure that the parm suggested by Daniel would have worked, but I got sound.

will bring the toy on Sunday!

John

 Subject: Re: [sf-lug] New raspberry pi project
 To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
 Date: Thursday, June 4, 2015, 7:08 PM

 On Thu, 2015-06-04 at
 07:00 -0700, John Strazzarino wrote:

 Looking into using my pi as a music player/server.  Found
 openELEC on
 > the pi download page and
 decided to try it.  After imaging the files
 > to my micro sad card, it would begin to
 boot, but freeze, even after
 > letting it
 sit.  Tried again, no luck.  I put the sd card in my PC
 and
 > looked at the config.txt file.  I
 noticed the quiet parm and removed

 it.  Voila, it booted up just fine, not sure what that was
 all about.

 > Used
 winSCP TO SSH? Into the machine and copied a couple MP3
 files to
 > the music directory.  Hit
 enter and the music appeared to play, but I
 > had no speakers.  I hooked up a USB set
 of speakers, but got no sound.
 > Perhaps
 because the USB port on the pi didn't have enough power
 to run
 > the speakers.  Now I gotta find
 some powered speakers and give them a

 whirl.

 > I'll
 bring the pi on Sunday, and maybe we can get some more music
 into
 > the pi.
 >
 > I will say that the interface (kodi) is a
 bit awkward, but we shall
 > see.

 Did you make sure the audio
 output is actually set to the USB speakers?
 It's typically not a default. I will be out
 of town this Sunday.