[sf-lug] new Linux releases on hand and expected

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed May 27 11:56:20 PDT 2015

Hi LUGers,

     Over the last few days I have downloaded 32 bit versions of
Ubuntu 15.04, Kubuntu 15.04, Fedora Live Workstation 22 and
Fedora Live Jam 22.

     Also for older equipment or maybe netbooks I got 64 and 32 bit
  versions of Q4OS which is a very compact distribution which may
need further downloads of tools for your use once installed.
It is, as most releases recently, UEFI compatible.

     If anyone wants copies at the next meeting let me know ASAP.

     I have been running Mageia 5 RC for over a week now and
read today that it has been frozen for the next release of Mageia 5.

     There are several server releases out there as well and one
designed to set up clusters.

     Mandriva, by the way has finally gone out of business.  But though
the company has gone out of business Mandrake's great ideas persist
in at least 3 forks, Mageia which might as well be Mandriva, PC Linux OS
and Open Mandriva.
     Open Mandriva in its 2015 Alpha release is not a big favorite of mine.
     PCLOS is eagerly awaited by fans like me who expect it to be UEFI
compatible.  It is more focused toward entertainment than the other forks.

     Bobbie Sellers