[sf-lug] Debian books/documentation, SF-LUG list, ... Re: Report of SF-LUG meeting today, Sunday, May 03, 2015

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 4 07:05:40 PDT 2015

Debian ...
Oh, and question was asked about Debian books.  Yes, there absolutely
are Debian books - quite a number of them.  But not being some
multi-billion dollar for-profit company, they don't get marketed/hyped
so much, and many of them are also available totally for free (for
download, anyway - cost at least a bit for printed books).
Have a peek here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/books
Also lots more excellent Debian documentation to be found under/via:
https://www.debian.org/doc/
And if one's specifically looking for asistance, there's also:
https://www.debian.org/support
And there's of course also great local resouce: Bay Area Debian:
http://bad.debian.net/
which does also meet this month - see also:
http://bad.debian.net/pipermail/bad/2015-April/003680.html

And SF-LUG list - yes, I did check for Eric if he was alraedy
subscribed, and no, he's not ... at least as of latest daily
backup data I checked.  But I've got no special privileges/access
to the list nor its administration ... well, other than I* happen
to be one that's also got access to its daily roster "export"/backup.
*Well, the details are slightly more complex, but has been covered on
this list before (encrypted copy of list is made publicly available,
and those with root on the sf-lug.org/sf-lug.com host have access to
that key, and thus its data).  But I think also, if I recall correctly
(and didn't think to check it at the time), I think *anyone* who's
subscribed to the list, can see (nearly) all subscribers on the
list ... well, I think it's all those that haven't selected the "hide"
option to not show their subscription to others on the list - but other
than that I think all on list can view the list of subscribers).
Anyway, I think when I checked, I noted that one additional subscriber
joined the list on or about 2015-05-01 (subscriber count went up by one
on that day's backup), but Eric wasn't on that latest backup list of
subscribers (the backup happens daily, but it only updates the RCS, etc.
if there's actually a change, and that was the last day on which the list
of subscribers had changed in the daily backup copy ... at least as of
yesterday's meeting).

references/excerpts: