[sf-lug] bash shell script tutorial and vi (and vim) starters cheat sheet

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 4 06:26:49 PDT 2015

And for those that *really* know (or want to ;-))
also, as mentioned at the meeting ... vim ... specifically
vim annoyances!  Okay, so I probably couldn't exactly write a
whole O'Reilly book on the subject ... but certainly a pamphlet
(or maybe a fat/thick "quick reference" of its annoyances).
Anyway, available here:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/linux/vim/vim_annoyances.txt
And I really don't want to hear the, "Well, if you just change your
vim configuration to set ..." - doesn't cut it, it needs to do "the
right thing" by default - or damn near so for everything, with not
more than a config tweak or two, not zillions of non-default settings,
and many of it's shortfalls, I've yet to see or find any setting that
will even change that behavior (e.g. what setting in vim will cause
:q! to work reliably?  Where's the option for vim that says do what I
tell you, not what you think is what I may have actually wanted like
you're smarter than me - you're a stupid program - I could write you,
you couldn't write me - not even close - you're not even a compiler,
let alone a programmer/developer).  So, yep, vim annoys me quite a bit.

Oh, ... and shell stuff - from sessions I've often put on (including
at BALUG, among other places ... but the material isn't really designed
for use without the session - but in any case):
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/unix/sh/