[sf-lug] Error message: wrong architecture ... 32 bit to 64 bit?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 10 17:06:41 PDT 2015

It *is* possible, for at least certain distributions
to "upgrade"/sidegrade, from 32 bit to 64 bit, but that is
*not* recommended for the faint of heart - really thus far only
for the rather/quite skilled at system administration (unless you
really don't mind seriously breaking the system).

In future (e.g. 6 months to 2 years down the line) it might
become a straightforward (nearly) "push button" operation ...
but as far as I'm aware it's not there yet (but not as horribly
hairy, nasty, and dangerous as it was some fair number of years
earlier).

references/excerpts:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:32-bit_to_64-bit