Mailing lists using usenet newsgroup

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jan 7 10:17:40 PST 2015

     (top posting per Rick's basic message) My
underlying motive is to allow others to participate/
collaborate. About that, one of my favorite stories is

     "The suits in some company discovered some
imperative reason to develop a prototype for a
new system related to their mission. Maybe this
was a hope to capture a new, rich client.... But
they had to present the working prototype in
five weeks.
     "The suits went to the engineers with this idea.
Engineers generally know their places and know
they have to say 'yes' to the suits as a general
posture. The engineers said 'yes'.
      "A week later the suits went to the engineers
to ask about progress. The engineers explained
that they were still planning. The suits went
back upstairs.
     "After two weeks, the suits returned to the
engineers, who explained that they were still in
the planning phase. The suits went back upstairs,
but their lunches were ruined.
     "After three weeks, the suits returned and the
engineers let them know they were still in the
planning phase. The suits went back upstairs
fully anxious.
     "They made it. At the end of the five week
period the engineering team had developed a
satisfactory working prototype."

     I'm not really doing this for me; rather I hope
that a few members of the group will join in the
talking and blathering and we will all learn, and
hopefully more and more quickly than if we
work in solitude. Of course, it'll be important to
move out of the planning phase.
     Rick, your comments are a terrific help in
this planning phase. I'll look things up and hope
a few others in SF-LUG do, too.