[sf-lug] ... list_members -f sf-lug | ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 2 15:13:38 PST 2015

> If you've got that, you can use gpg to decrypt the bit
> that's encrypted further below - it's simple symmetric encryption using
> that same password as passphrase for the encryption.

gnupg is my candidate for Worst User Interface Ever for about the tenth
year in a row.  ;->  I can never do diddly squat with it until after
rummaging around in the man page, doing Web searches, or both.  Man,
what an awful command-line interface.

$ gpg --output sf-lug.pub --decrypt sf-lug.encrypted
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
$

$ gpg --decrypt sf-lug.pub > sf-lug.key
gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
[rick at linuxmafia]
$ file sf-lug.key
sf-lug.key: PGP public key block
$

OK, got the public key.

The cron job to dump the roster from Python's 'frozen' storage format to
ASCII and then (at present) e-mail it runs as the root user, so I guess
I need to import that sucker (the public key) into root's keyring.

# gpg --import /tmp/sf-lug.key
gpg: key 878BD8C0: public key "San Francisco Linux Users' Group (SF-LUG)
<postmaster at sf-lug.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
#

# gpg --with-fingerprint --list-keys 878BD8C0
pub   4096R/878BD8C0 2015-02-02
      Key fingerprint = 960C 4BE6 4873 7D42 87DC  188F E8A5 5E60 878B D8C0
uid                  San Francisco Linux Users' Group (SF-LUG)
<postmaster at sf-lug.org>
sub   4096R/2830B82F 2015-02-02
#

Fingerprint matches what you sent in unencrypted SMTP, which I Totally
and Completely Trust.  (A joke.  Yes, we used a shared secret, so we're
good.)

Manually running the export:

# /var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f sf-lug | gpg --armor --yes --batch --trust-model always --encrypt --recipient 0x960C4BE648737D4287DC188FE8A55E60878BD8C0 > /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/sf-lug.mbox/sf-lug_roster.asc
#

Seems to have worked.  This cron rendition appears to produce the
expected output, too:

:r /etc/cron.daily/sf-lug-roster

#!/bin/sh
#
# sf-lug-roster:  Cron script to save out current Mailman mailing list
# sf-lug's roster in a place SF-LUG officers can get it.
#
#               Written by Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com)
#               $Id: cron.weekly,v 1.00 2015-02-02 16:06:00 rick

set -o errexit  #aka "set -e": exit if any line returns non-true value
set -o nounset  #aka "set -u": exit upon finding an uninitialised variable

/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f sf-lug | \
/usr/bin/gpg --armor --yes --batch --trust-model always --encrypt --recipient \
0x960C4BE648737D4287DC188FE8A55E60878BD8C0 > \
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/sf-lug.mbox/sf-lug_roster.asc

That should do it.  You be the judge.  ;->  Accordingly, I'm removing
your e-mail as target for older cron job /etc/cron.weekly/mailman-rosters .

> >Bleah Fitzgerald.  ;->
> Egad, rather recently, and for the first time ever in my life, I saw
> someone wearing a _The Great Gatsby_ F. Scott Fitzgerald t-shirt
> (probably because there was the movie not yet long enough ago).
> About all I could think of it was:
> o Stay away from me!
> o I don't want to hear *anything* of it!
> o Egad, what's *wrong* with you!

It was always considered an unfilmable novel (the Redford/Farrow
soft-focus thing notwithstanding), but Baz Luhrmann got around that in
the traditional Hollywood fashion by in ignoring the literary qualities
of the source material and going heavy on Flapper-Era visual spectacle.

Never much liked the novel, either, Great American Novel or not.  If I
want to read novels about awful people I'm glad I don't know, I prefer
Jo Nesbø, who is even filmable.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harry-hole-author-jo-nesbo-402232