[sf-lug] {crickets} ... list_members -f sf-lug | mail ... Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 1 21:47:53 PST 2015

> Yes, got the (manual) roster - thanks, and have been planning to get
> back to you on that one ... no extreme rush (I figure if it gets
> covered once a month, that's much better than past, ... and we're not
> yet near one month since you manually also sent me the roster).

Based on that, adding you to weekly cron job, for now.  (Best to
act and await SF-LUG deliberations.)  Mail will go out Sundays.  If
you'd rather not get it, please expostulate.

:r! grep -i michael /etc/cron.weekly/mailman-rosters

/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f sf-lug | mail -s "sf-lug Roster as of $(date +%F)" jim at well.com Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu

You're requested to regard the roster as confidential.  (More below.)

> I've in mind something for you to implement that's just about that
> easy (one more command in pipeline), but I need to still do more prep
> work on the receiving end.  Then ought be able to automate the
> receiving end ...  and have it automagically placed somewhere more
> fitting than my email, and more regularly.

OK, cool.  I was sure there was something better, but I followed my
dictum that any half-assed solution you actually do beats better ones
you haven't gotten around to.

I could programmatically dump the roster to the anonymous-rsyncable mbox
directory, or elsewhere.  But...  Some folks regard rosters as less
than public, and would object to fully public access.

/etc/rsyncd.conf's 'auth users' option seems to furnish a middle
path, though I've never used that function.

> But, e.g., "force" me to read _The Great Gatsby_ and I can read it
> cover to cover (and even reread the same page many times) and ...
> interest about zilch ... retention likewise.

Bleah Fitzgerald.  ;->