[sf-lug] {crickets} PGP keysigning

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 1 11:34:08 PST 2015

Regarding:

> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 00:59:36 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
> Subject: [sf-lug] On hearing the sounds crickets make
>
> However, metaphorically speaking, hearing 'crickets' means hearing
> silence where a response was expected or (at bare minimum) socially
> appropriate.
>
> I've asked a number of questions to SF-LUG folks in honest and, I think,
> reasonable expectation of response.  Often, that's been in the really
> baffling situation where I'm asking something specifically to -help-
>
> But here, let me show what I'm talking about.  This is not intended as a
> complaint, just mostly to point out the pattern of my repeatedly trying
> to help you and getting rather impolitely ignored, for my efforts.
>
> March 2014.  There was much discussion about how a PGP keysigning would
> be a really good idea.
>
> Quoting The Doctor (drwho at virtadpt.net):
>
>> I think it would be a good idea.
>
> Make it happen.
> http://rhonda.deb.at/projects/gpg-party/gpg-party.en.html
>
> Example:
> http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/party-page-2004-09.html
> http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/
>
> {crickets}

Ah, pardons if I don't always manage to read the sf-lug list, though I'm
on it (think I missed that one earlier ... among many others - too much
email, too little time).

Anyway, for informational purposes ...

there is also:
http://www.biglumber.com/

And keysignings do happen semi-regularly/sporadically in The Bay Area,
at various [L]UGs/events, e.g. probably more commonly at
Bay Area Debian (BAD) http://bad.debian.net/
meetings or other BAD related get-togethers that may be
mentioned/coordinated via the BAD list ... though there may possibly be
other [L]UGs in the Bay Area that I haven't been to or don't regular go
to, that possibly do more frequent keysignings?  Most recent larger
keysigning event I'm aware of that occurred:
2014-09-26
and it was *reasonably* well publicized:
http://buug.org/pipermail/buug/2014-August/004050.html
http://zer0.org/pipermail/ba-keysign/2014-August/000228.html
http://bad.debian.net/pipermail/bad/2014-August/003633.html
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk-balug.org/2014-August/000584.html
(and I forwarded to sf-lug at linuxmafia - but list was down at the time)
(I fed organizer info. about Biglumber, but as far as I know organizer
never listed the event on Biglumber)
The event was fairly well attended - I signed 68 UIDs on 36 keys.

And I've gotten my key information, including fingerprint via secure
delivery channel to Jim Stockford and Grant Bowman, but I've yet to
securely receive like from them.  {crickets}

And, thus far, at keysignings, whenever someone doesn't yet have their
key available, but is (or seems) interested to get started, I explain
and offer to do the "shared secret method" so I can later sign their
key, and they generally take me up on that ... except I don't think any
of them has ever gotten back to me to continue the process after my
giving them shared secret and my key information (perhaps there's a very
rare exception or two I'm not recalling, but most never follow through
on it).  {crickets}