[sf-lug] On hearing the sounds crickets make

jim jim at well.com
Sun Feb 1 10:37:11 PST 2015

[Top and Bottom posting]

Preamble:

     I'm truly sorry for Rick's understandable frustration.
The detail in Rick's email is extremely helpful, partly
thanks to its lucidity.
     As I seem to be the primary culprit in the stories,
here's something of an explanation and response. I
tried to be brief. If you care about the topics, please
read, or at least peruse, the whole damn thing, down
to the very bottom.

* I am often in overwhelm for a few reasons:
    personal obligations, 400 emails per day, mostly
    technical lists (I've oversubscribed and therefore
    lose more focus than simple arithmetic might
    suggest), with a long-standing reading problem
    (I'm working with someone to help me read
    more easily), and far, far behind the experiences
    of Rick and Michael and some others on the list.

* I tend to read people's comments as statements,
    not as requests for dialogue; this may actually be
    related to my reading problem or to my distorted
    socialization. Per the example asking if Michael
    should also receive weekly data, I think that's a
    great idea, but also think that Michael should
    respond, not I. On second tho't, seeing the proposal
    in this light, seems it would be helpful that I (and
    others in SF-LUG) would respond "yay" or "nay".
        (Let me add: I am quite grateful to Rick for
    creating this weekly dump!)

* The make-up of the sf-lug list membership may
    be different from that of conspire or svlug in that
    there are more "newbies" and "wanna-bes" (in a
    good sense--willing to learn, at least a little), and
    perhaps a more geographically far-flung set.

* The nature of the observations preceding crickets
    strikes me as less straightforwardly technical and
    with a "human behavior" element that's less
    prominent in discussions on conspire and svlug.

     Back to the overwhelm part. Reading long emails
with lots of technical information is difficult for me,
anyway, because often to understand it I have to
look up terms and wonder about techniques that
are unfamiliar to me. Speaking for myself, it's a
tough slog.
     I don't know quite how our group discussion of
putting together a backup system to duplicate the
sf-lug MailMan system (to be able to have a current
backup copy of the roster and archives) went awry,
but it seems that it went dark--I'm guessing because
the content of the thread shifted too much to human
behavioral aspects and away from the technical
aspects.

     I've had cricket experiences, too. I've occasionally
asked if anyone would like to participate in working
on a project, primarily as a learning experience, to
build skills. Responses are few and tepid and for some
reason don't pan out.
     My way of learning depends on being able to breathe
the same air as a mentor who shows me how to do
something and talks about it. For example, I spent two
years trying to learn assembly language, mainly by
reading books. I learned a lot and got no where. An
expert was kind enough to share thirty minutes with him.
That was all it took for me to learn to do. Ah: one needs
a text editor! None of the books said that. Ah: one
creates a proper text file and then invokes the assembler
using the text file name as an argument. I hadn't found
that exactly spelled out in any of the books. After that
thiry minutes, I was writing assembly language programs
that worked and had no bugs.

[my specific responses interspersed below]

On 02/01/2015 12:59 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> [...]
> Make it happen.
> http://rhonda.deb.at/projects/gpg-party/gpg-party.en.html
>
> Example:
> http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/party-page-2004-09.html
> http://linuxmafia.com/gpg/
>

> JS: more overwhelm. I see no need to learn PGP keysigning. I've got ways of sending plain text to people that is reasonably safe from exploitation, and such times are infrequent.
>
> {crickets}
>

> Still March 2014.  Jim Stockford had been talking about his system
> partitioning practices.
>
> Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at systemateka.com):
>
>> For my personal computer I usually have a 50 GB or greater part for
>> /home/.
> I'm just curious, your rationale for separate /home is...?
> (I can think of reasons, but was curious about yours.)
>
> JS: I did drop the ball there. To respond I had to think things out, and I got distracted. My rationale for a separate partition and filesystem for the /Home/ directory is that it isolates my stuff from the system stuff. If need be, I can unmount the storage from /home/ and do whatever I want to the system--wipe clean and install a new release is generally what I do. I also have all of my stuff in a separate filesystem storage unit so I can  dd  the stuff to some other storage unit and be sure I've got absolutely everything from /home/ as an exact image (inode numbers intact...), and quickly.
>

> {crickets}
>

> July 2014, for the _second_ time, I provided a better way to deal with
> 'the Web site is down' situations than just guessing about cause.
>
> Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):
>
>> My guess is that netsol has un-dns'd sf-lug.{org,com}, and
>> http://208.96.15.252/ suggests I'm right.
> No need to guess.
>
> Upthread I laid out an explicit, detailed set of six steps to isolate
> what's wrong when 'the Web site is down', i.e., when you have good
> reason to think something is broken on the service-provision end[1], and
> want to determine what.
>
> 1.  Domain registered?
> 2.  Auth nameservers listed in the registration?
> 3.  Auth nameservice works?
> 4.  Routing to the server works?
> 5.  Connectivity to the Web server IP & port works?
> 6.  Web daemon returns site HTML when queried on that IP & port?
>
> Each depends on the one before it, so you can just use that rundown as a
> diagnostic checklist.
>
> JS: probably the emergency either disappeared or I became acclimated. I've developed a lot of fondness for the approach of doing without as a default behavior. Per the list of six steps above, that list does not have specific commands or directions, so the overwhelm factor is fairly great. Were the commands or some brief direction associated with each step, the overwhelm factor would be greatly reduced, possibly to within the threshold of tolerance (i.e., I could probably take action rather than aspirin).
JS: Besides: I tossed out a notion hoping to spur discussion.

> [...]
> through GNU Mailman?  OK, no problem.  Just send them to me in a
> suitable format for merger, i.e., mbox format.
>
> JS: I've still got the Dovecot mbox page open and occasionally review it., I would like that the group is clear on the need to include the interim email in the archives. One alternative way to do that is to clip and summarize the email and paste it into one or more mail messages to the list--voila: the stuff is there, no importing, no mbox....
>

> {crickets}
>

> January 2015
>
> I just ran this manually:
> # /var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members -f sf-lug | mail -s "sf-lug Roster as of $(date +%F)" Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
>
> I _could_ add Michael Paoli as a recipient of that mail weekly (Sundays)
> via cron job, as Jim already is a recipient.  Would that be to your
> liking?
>
> JS: yes it would, but I'm just one person in this group. I have no special status other than a kind of data janitor. my opinion is worth 1/300 of concensus. If Michael agrees, hey! nobody's objecting.
>

> {crickets}
>

> Later in January 2015:
>
> Quoting maestro (maestro415 at gmail.com):
>
>> Right now this is uncertain as there may be a new SF Linux/open source
>> mail list & meet-up space going up online...
> Interesting.  How are you putting this together?  I'm interested in
> details.
>
> JS: I know little about any of the proposals that have been suggested. My take is not to use a service that is other than MailMan. I believe we should build a platform that runs Linux, an email server, and MailMan and copy the LinuxMafia.com/* for sf-lug to it and treat that new system as a backup system: regularly copy the current sf-lug data to the backup system and verify that we can use it (i.e. copy and test restore). Daniel suggests gmane as a backup and alternative reading medium, which seems good to me, thanks to Daniel's summary; the gmane web page has lots of information (more overwhelm). I don't like moving to some other technology because of the headaches of importing the archives and preserving the membership (e.g. the prospect of having to invite current members to a completely new system).
> By the way, I have installed Postfix and Dovecot and the system works in that it gets email from "out there" and delivers that email to my email client (Thunderbird, these days), but I cannot send replies because of some problem "out there" (I believe at the first node to which the system connects:
> "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.7.1 <baha.organizer at gmail.com>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipient baha.organizer at gmail.com and try again." Seems to me there's some kind of configuration needed, but I can't make out what from the error message.

The point of the sf-lug list is to provide a pleasant medium that lets
us discover the San Francisco linux community and get technical (and
other) support for using and becoming increasingly comfortable with
Linux and open source generally. (Personally, my primary motivation for
trying to promote open source is that it seems morally correct and
offers a wide path to individual's involvement.)

Seems to me we must tolerate various styles, some of which are
inconsiderate, and welcome and correct and explain our positions, which,
for each of us, is unique with respect to temperment, style, and expertise.