[sf-lug] backup of sf-lug mailing list archives and roster

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Jan 25 16:04:00 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 15:38 -0800, jim wrote:
>      Basically, I'm in favor of us homebrewing
> and maintaining our systems as a matter of
> control and training possibilities.
>      I've not researched gmane.org. What
> makes it good?

1) A public mirror of the list archive. (There are many others besides
theirs.)
2) The ability to reply or post directly to the list from a web kiosk
without logging into webmail. (This does NOT circumvent the requirement
that the person posting be subscribed to the list.)
3) The ability to post (and read) using NNTP to their server. (It is NOT
connected to Usenet. The draw of this is that it offers more
asynchronous participation on the list, akin to a forum. One can read
any message from the archive and hit the Reply button on it without
having to keep all messages from the list oneself.)
4) RSS/Atom feeds of the list.
5) Various minor things outlined at:
http://gmane.org/about.php