[sf-lug] Cancellation, Pls.

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 11:29:11 PST 2015

I can relate to Rick's feelings but I keep thinking that requests like
"unsubscribe" are a symptom of something we (the Internet early
citizens) screwed up.

I, like Rick, have been around the block for many moons, I have
administered hundreds of lists, I have been told "RTFM" many times in
the old days when Internet was domain of people who *actually* read
the manuals (and a high % of those people actually *wrote* such
manuals). Reading questions like "unsubscribe me please" feels very
repetitive.

But then I think how horribly behind and clumsy email clients have
stayed since the old days. They even got worse. Mailman by default
sends unsubscribe instructions but *hides them in the headers*. How
screwed up is that? No email client shows headers and no email client
that I know of makes any use of that information. A popular email
client like Gmail sometimes even *hides the footer* added by mailman.
This behaviour is not the newbie's fault: it's our fault. It's us, the
long time hackers, who failed at evolving our tools and bring them
into the twentytens.

Email (smtp+imap) is a magical tool that enables communication truly
across the world, across cultures and people and various technologies.
Only email so far is the truly cross-platform, federated, universal
communication system we have and we (the old-time, tech community)
have failed to make it any easier to use and adopt than the 80s. The
proliferation of communications via very large walled gardens like
wazzup are a direct consequence of email (clients, mostly) failing to
become smart and effective to use.