[sf-lug] systemd criticism

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 27 20:52:03 PDT 2014

Quoting GMail (mmdmurphy at gmail.com):

> so, what happens if you kill -9 pid #1??
>
> i know my syntax is off but you understand what i meant
>
> Sent from Dan.

Hi, Dan.

SysVinit ignores SIGKILL and SIGTERM signals directed at the init
process itself.

There are, as mentioned, quite a number of other init implementations.
Your question would have to be answered separately for each of them, as
there's nothing inherent about PID #1 that dictates a kill policy.

Anyway, if you're curious what happens if you kill init, why not try and
see for yourself?  It's not necessary to ask a mailing list the answer
to a question you can easily determine just by typing the command and
observing.