[sf-lug] systemd criticism

Brian Wood woodbrian77 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:10:53 PDT 2014

Rick Moen writes:

> Quoting Jeff Bragg:
>
>> I'm not sure how many of you know about, have needed to use, or have an
>> opinion about systemd.  I'm still processing what I know about it from
use,
>> and other criticisms I've read about it, but I'm sympathetic to the
points
>> made here.
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

Link has some cursing.

> Sympathetic enough that I expect I'll actually dump Debian if it ceases
> to be tenable without systemd at some point in the future.

I switched to FreeBSD/PC-BSD a few months ago due to
a networking related problem on Linux.  So far I'm liking BSD --
pcbsd.org .

I used systemd on Arch for a while prior to switching to BSD.
I accidentally got a lot of junk in my log file... the same error
over and over.  i tried to find a way to clean out the junk, but
wasn't able to in part because the log was in binary.  Searches
through the log were slowed down quite a bit because there
was so much crud in there.

The log problem was secondary but also influenced my decision.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.