[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting of Monday evening 18 August 2014

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 21 14:32:22 PDT 2014

Hi concerned members of SF-LUG,

     Sorry if I made you wait but I had exhausted myself on Monday before
I came to the meeting and have been spending extra hours resting at home.

     I arrived about 5:35 PM.  I had no problems setting my notebook and
the preliminary work I did setting up a roaming profile worked just fine so
that I had no problems connecting to the WiFi at Cafe Enchante.
.
     Jim Stockford came by but had to go to band rehearsal this evening.

     I was not waiting long when two possible members showed up.
     Jimmy B using Crunchbang for about 18 month and is local
     Oleg P. using Ubuntu for about the same length of time.  Oleg
is not likely to attend regular meetings as he lives in Vallejo and had
rented a car which permitted his attendance this evening.

    i demonstrated a feature or two of the Mageia 4.1 distribution that
I use
for these guys and talked about other things.
      Also demoed the Knoppix 7.3.0 on USB Flash Drive.

     Eric showed up with with the latest Knoppix 7.4.0 arriving before 1900.
     This enhanced the discussion of the various problems including on the
Ubuntu, a lack of support for the nVidia card Oleg is using.

     Eric is busy getting the free boxes from John F.S. running.
     I apparently had much better luck with my free box, but I am
having problems with letting myself spend the money to get the PCI
TV tuner and graphics cards I will need for this project.   Besides
that I have been rather busy keeping the HP Notebox running
nicely as well as doing all the stuff on it that I do all the time.
     Speaking of the stuff I keep doing I have upgraded my Knoppix on
the Flash Drive but have had no time to test it yet.

     A bit before 8 P.M. we packed up the notebooks and went on our
separate ways.

     That concludes the meeting report but if anyone has any corrections
to make please do so.

     The next Sunday meeting will be on September 7 and you can expect my
regular notice on the 1st of September.

     Thanks for your attention!

     Bobbie Sellers