[sf-lug] sf-lug website?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 15 00:36:47 PDT 2014

Again, Jim, my sympathies over the domain problems.

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> My guess is that netsol has un-dns'd sf-lug.{org,com}, and
> http://208.96.15.252/ suggests I'm right.

No need to guess.

Upthread I laid out an explicit, detailed set of six steps to isolate
what's wrong when 'the Web site is down', i.e., when you have good
reason to think something is broken on the service-provision end[1], and
want to determine what.

1.  Domain registered?
2.  Auth nameservers listed in the registration?
3.  Auth nameservice works?
4.  Routing to the server works?
5.  Connectivity to the Web server IP & port works?
6.  Web daemon returns site HTML when queried on that IP & port?

Each depends on the one before it, so you can just use that rundown as a
diagnostic checklist.

[1] This doesn't include user-end problems, e.g., user needs to clear
cache and cookies, has a hosed proprietary-OS state and should reboot, etc.