[sf-lug] Linux Journal, TOR, TAILS now surveilled

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Jul 5 11:04:11 PDT 2014

>From a pal on another mailing list.
Yes I looked at the original article before I forwarded.
This is another example of the NSA making enemies out of allies.
And now the relevant article.

The Linux Journal, a Linux user community website, has been flagged as
an "extremist forum" by the United States' National Security Agency
(NSA), while its users have been flagged as "extremists" under the
agency's XKeyscore program, according to leaked source code.

The source code, which was published this week by German public
broadcaster, ARD, also identified at least two German Tor Directory
Authority servers — one in Berlin, the other in Nuremberg — as being
under surveillance by the NSA.

The Tor Project is an independent, open-source anonymous software and
browsing network that directs traffic through its free, worldwide,
volunteer network to conceal users' locations and usage from surveillance.

...The NSA's XKeyscore program is a collection and analysis tool, and
was one of a number of surveillance programs revealed in the documents
leaked by former NSA contractor and whistleblower, Edward Snowden, last
year.

The XKeyscore source code rules cite the terms 'TAILs' or 'Amnesiac
Incogneto Live System', along with one of either 'linux', 'USB', 'CD',
'secure desktop', 'IRC', 'truecrypt', and 'Tor' as search items that
will mark and track a track the IP address of the person doing the search.

http://www.zdnet.com/nsa-targets-linux-journal-as-extremist-forum-report-7000031241/

	I am glad to be an extremist(philosophically) in such distinguished company
as Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson. et al, not to mention
the more knowledgeable members of this group.

	bliss